Transportation Engineering and Science Program
- Dr. Nambisan had a talk with John "Jimmy" Duncan Jr., the U.S. Representative from Tennessee's 2nd District.
- Dr. Khattak worked to enhance the visibility of with STC sponsored Journal of Safety and Security by serving as "special adviser" and Dr. Nambisan as serving as "editorial board member." Dr. Khattak continued as Editor-in-Chief of SCI-Indexed Journal of Intelligent Transportation Systems and Associate Editor of SCI-Indexed International Journal of Sustainable Transportation.
- Dr. Khattak worked to enhance the visibility of STC sponsored Journal of Safety and Security by serving as
"special adviser" and Dr. Nambisan served on the "editorial board member." Dr. Khattak continued as Editor-in-Chief
of SCI-Indexed Journal of Intelligent Transportation Systems and Associate Editor of SCI-Indexed International
Journal of Sustainable Transportation.
- Dr. Han continued to serve on the editorial board of International Journal of Transportation Science and
Technology in 2015; and editorial board of Journal of Traffic and Transportation Engineering in 2015; and on
the editorial board of the Scientific World Journal.
- Dr. Cherry served on the editorial board of International Journal of Sustainable Transportation. He also
served on the Editorial board of a new journal titled "Traffic and Transport Theory & Practice."
- Transportation Engineering & Science Program, Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering maintained
the UT STC project website that provides information about relevant activities and results. Also, UT faculty
collaborated with STC staff on STC website content.
- Dr. Nambisan participated in quarterly meetings of local law enforcement agencies which addressed enforcement
activities to enhance road safety and provided updates on ongoing research projects.
- A team of researchers from the UT Center for Transportation Research, Dr. Nambisan, and Kwaku Boakye and
Alexandra Boggs, graduate students, participated in outreach activities that involved using "The Convincer"
to impress upon the general public the importance of wearing seatbelts as occupant of motor vehicles. These
included events at UT, Knox County, and Blount County.
- Dr. Nambisan continued his work as immediate past-president of the Council of University Transportation
- Faculty, staff, and students wrote and submitted several technical papers for presentations in the
Transportation Research Board annual meeting in January 2016. The papers provide significant results related
to safety. Details will be available in the next reporting period.
- Dr. Nambisan continued as co-chair the TRB National Data Requirements and Programs committee, a member of the TRB Education and Training Committee., and a member of the Conduct of Research Committee.
- Dr. Khattak served as co-chair of Advanced Traveler Information Systems sub-committee.
- Dr. Cherry served as a member of ANF20, bicycle transportation. He also chaired the joint (bike, ped, motorcycle, law enforcement committees) subcommittee on emerging technologies for low speed vehicles. He serves on the Knoxville Greenway Commission.
- Dr. Han served on the TRB Managed Lane committee, which is a standing committee that deals with the operational
and safety aspects of lane management policies and technologies. Dr. Han continues to be a full member of TRB
Emergency Evacuation Task Force, which was elevated to a full committee status. Several STC MRI efforts can
benefit and can influence the efforts at this committee. Dr. Han continues to serve as the University of
Tennessee's Representative to TRB.
- Faculty, staff, and student served on various Transportation Research Board committees.